April 11, 2011

Time for al-fresco dining!

I have been told that it is very unusual for the temperature to reach the high 20s and stay there for weeks on end at this time of the year in Paris. Why waste the sunshine by staying indoors? I skipped breakfast altogether and headed straight to Le Comptoir du Relais in Saint Germain for a quick lunch along the sidewalk. I arrived at noon and by a quarter past, the entire place was full and a queue started to form.  A very promising sign...

I was greeted immediately by some wonderfully warm and crusty sourdough bread which was another good sign. This bistro is well known for its no reservation policy for lunch and dinner after 9pm.  The obligatory prix-fixe menu is missing but no one ever complains because the a la carte menu offers such an excellent variety of classic French dishes that you can't wait to return.

Fois Gra with prune confit and toast
Lobster bisque topped with creme fraiche
The foie gras with toast and prune confit that I ordered was delicious, but the lobster bisque was outstanding.  The flavour was exactly how it should be coming from a mixture of fish and lobster, plus the signature pastis that brought this dish to life.  As I was people watching while devouring the last bit of bread, I noticed something unusual about the building standing in front of me.  It was actually a curtain wall painted with a facade.  Well, the French would not allow their appetite to be spoiled by some silly scaffolding, would they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment freely but keep it polite by not doing spam.