March 20, 2011

The cook's paradise

My other life training to be an aspiring pastry chef has proven to be more challenging than I would care to admit.  Before the final exam, I tested out six recipes over the weekend only to find that I was going to make Pithivier, an almond cream puff pastry which was about the least technical recipe out of the 50 odd gateaux and tartelettes that we learned.

Pithivier was traditionally eaten on the tenth day after the birth of Jesus

All the effort that went into the scouting for the right kitchen utensils and ingredients for the trial run was quite a task in itself. In Paris, most professional kitchenware shops are centred around Les Halles on rue Montmartre. Shops like Mora, A Simon and E Dehillerin have been around for a long time and they stock every conceivable shape and size of moulds and piping nozzles, plus any number of useful tools that you never knew existed - all still made in France to my disbelief! I am already working out my container's list heading the other direction.

The day that I had enough of pastry making, I went lunching at a neighbourhood bistro serving Basque dishes. Afaria has a small but interesting menu. I ordered from the 'Return Trip' section that suggests the dishes are inspired by the Basque tradition (southern France). The starter, pumpkin soup served with scallop tartare, was a refreshing combination of hot and cold. The grilled fish in a hazelnut crust with braised leeks was flavourful and the cooking point was perfect.

Pumpkin soup with scallop tartare
Grilled fish in a hazelhut crust
Judging from the standard of the food served in the 15th arrondissement, I am rather happy with the fact that decent meals can still be found in this area without the price tag of a more trendy district.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment freely but keep it polite by not doing spam.