January 2, 2011

Bonjour Paris! Let the feast begin...

I count this as one of my few blessings to be invited to spend my first day in Paris with the Bettembourgs, a French couple whom I have the pleasure of knowing in Macau. Luckier still, the Chinatown is situated 200m from their home in the 13th arrondissement so it gave me the perfect opportunity to stock up on all the essential ingredients from Paris' most famous Chinese grocery store, Tang Freres. Who else except 'une Chinoise' would visit a friend carrying a sac of rice and two bottles of soy sauce? I was not going to worry about social etiquette when I could blame it on being new here.

A delightful little poissonnerie in the neighbourhood
The weather was horrible as it was freezing cold and drizzling. Nevertheless, I was so relieved to be greeted by not only my gracious host, but also a warm bowl of vegetable soup, cheese souffle and salad that did wonders to my dampened spirit.

The expansive view from their balcony highlighted the many faceless tower blocks in the 13th arrondissement from the 60s and 70s. Short of any notable monuments, the Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand is perhaps its most visible landmark. Apparently this district is also home to many artists and intellectuals who reside in the hidden village streets which have escaped modernisation.  

The design of this facade was one of the earlier attempts
to maximise energy efficiency.
Interestingly, their flat is atop a semi-office tower that was built in the modernist style of the 1970s. It seems like an unusual arrangement nowadays to have seven levels of underground parking and nine floors above the ground, of which the first five are exclusively for business use. Despite its lack-lustre architectural landscape, I am sure I will be returning to the 13th district in no time as one can never be far from its cultural heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment freely but keep it polite by not doing spam.